background

Sunday, February 19, 2012

We need a DTR


I'm sorry I've fallen off the blog-o-sphere!
I will try to do better at updating this with applicable things everyone can use.

In college, we had a term called a "DTR".  When two people started hanging out a lot, but never actually talked about their relationship status, eventually one of them would initiate a "dtr" or "Define the Relationship."  Lately I've been thinking about how important our relationship with food is. Maybe it's time we all sat down and had a DTR with food.

I'm finding this field of nutrition to be very interesting for tons of reasons.
One of them is that everyone (okay, maybe not everyone) thinks they're an expert.
I believe this is because FOOD is something everyone is very familiar with.
We eat every day. Everyone eats pretty much every day. Most of us, many times every day.
Therefore, EVERYONE has this huge history of experiences with food.

This creates a very complex dynamic because it gives all of us so many opportunities to either have a good relationship with food, or a poor one. This relationship is influenced by culture, by media, by our parents' relationships with food, by our friends, by what other people tell us about food, and by our own relationship with our self.

Do you reward yourself with food?
Do you have a hard time eating with or around others?
Do you see restricting what you eat as self-punishment?
Do you separate enjoying food with its purpose? Meaning... can you enjoy food while at the same time understanding that we eat also to nourish our bodies?
Does food make you feel guilty?

This is a process I am learning more and more about and won't pretend to have all the answers.  But I believe how we view and think about food (our relationship with it) is just about as important and the things we put in our bodies.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good one! Some good questions to really think about. When I read the title I immediately thought "I need a deep tendon reflex??" ha!

    ReplyDelete