background

Friday, March 1, 2013

Eating junk food while pregnant may make your child a junk food addict

Eating junk food while pregnant may make your child a junk food addict

SO. I have a few caveats to this report. FIRST, this study was done on rats.  Rats people. So studies done on rats can't be simply transferred to our situations. It's much more complicated than that. BUT, it can give us indications on what MIGHT be true.  

However, rats/mice are very physiologically similar to humans.  Isn't that bizarre?  So, I think we should consider the findings.

And lastly, this is approaching maternal nutrition through a "life course" lens.  The Life Course Theory states that, during critical stages of development, nutrition can play a role in the child's life in such a way that it sets that child on a trajectory--or path--of health and wellness.  So, if a mom is eating junk food, fast food, and candy her entire pregnancy, we shouldn't assume that it won't affect the child. Can you think of a more critical time in development than the ACTUAL development of your body?! The nutrition a woman gives her child in utero and all of the terribly complex and amazing hormonal and metabolic ways it changes a person are real. And it has lasting impact. 

This slightly terrifies me... and slightly amazes me that if I carefully choose what I put into my body and feed my baby while pregnant, I can set them on a course for good health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment