background

Sunday, September 11, 2011

to egg? or not to egg?

I know this is the age-old nutrition question that probably rivals the greater question of "who came first? The chicken or the egg?" 

I am honestly not into the "meat" of my classes yet.  I've just started Medical Nutrition Therapy, and I know I will learn a TON of applicable things in there.  Unfortunately, I haven't picked up too many tips, yet.

However, yesterday as I worked through a lesson for my ethics class on... you guessed it: Ethics in Public Health, something struck me.  It's the idea that understanding about nutrition and diet change as the knowledge about nutrition and diet changes.  (Obviously there are things driven by money and agenda... but I like to believe that most practitioners honestly want the best health and wellness for their patients.)  But as new studies are conducted and analyzed, the guidelines change.

This may seem like a frustrating problem to not ever be sure if you are or aren't supposed to be eating something... but it's a good thing.  Ethically, you want to know that you are advised to use the best known practice to date.

So, I guess I can't answer this question for you, yet... (although I am a BIG egg person... in my opinion, a boiled egg is a perfect snack... low in calories... and high in a protein very similar to ours... which means it's absorbed well...) (And I also know that eating cholesterol has (as far as research goes) very little effect on OUR cholesterol levels... saturated fat does.)

But this blog, as the field of nutrition, will be a work in progress.  I will work hard to make sure I present what is proven to be most effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment